Spanakopita or spinach pie is a Greek savory pastry. It has a filling of chopped spinach, feta cheese (sometimes in combination with ricotta cheese, as it is less expensive, and adds creaminess), onions or scallions, egg, and seasoning. The pastry is golden in color when baked, the color often enhanced by butter and egg yolk. (Wikipedia)
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons whole-grain wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups feta/ricotta/cheddar cheese — shredded
- 10 ounces frozen spinach — thawed, drained
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 dash black pepper — fresh ground
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
1. In a large bowl, beat eggs (or egg substitute) with flour until smooth.
2. Squeeze spinach to dry then add to egg mixture along with cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg. Mix well.
3. Pour into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with wheat germ and bake in preheated 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes.
4. Let stand 10 minutes then cut into 1-1/2 inch squares.
Yield: 48 squares.