Typically, Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake, with whipped cream and cherries between each layer. Then the cake is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings. In some European traditions sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating the top. (Wikipedia)
- 1 c Chocolate Wafer Crumbs
- 3 tb Margarine, Melted
- 16 oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 2/3 c Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 6 oz Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips, melted
- 1/4 ts Almond Extract
- 21 oz Cherry Pie Filling (1 Cn)
- Frozen Whipped Topping Thawed
- Combine crumbs and margarine, press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees F., 10 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese and sugar, mixing at medium speed on electric mixer until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in chocolate and extract; pour over crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F., 45 minutes. Loosen cake from rim of pan; cool before removing rim of pan.
- Chill. Top cheesecake with pie filling and whipped topping just before serving.