Many slow cookers have two or more heat settings (e.g., low, medium, high, and sometimes a “keep warm” setting); A typical slow cooker is designed to heat food to 77 °C (170 °F) on low, to perhaps 88-93 °C (190-200 °F) on high. Many recipes that include sauce or liquid will reach the boiling point around the edges, while food in the center remains gently cooked. Because food stays warm for a long time after switching off, slow cookers can be used to cook food to be taken to be eaten elsewhere without reheating. (Wikipedia)
Prep Time: varies
- 3 pounds lean pork shoulder — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large head of cabbage — cut into chunks
- 1 large onion — cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 each whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 ounces diet rite or other diet cola
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 6 ounces beef broth
How to Prepare:
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In an oven proof pan with a tight fitting lid, saute onion in bacon grease until slightly translucent.
- Add pork cubes and saute for 5-6 minutes or until they change colors. Then add the cabbage and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer, cover tightly with lid.
- Place in oven and let cook for 3-4 hours. You can strain the juices
*Carbs Per Serving: Per entire recipe: 1453 Calories (kcal); 54g; Total Fat; (32% calories from fat); 174 g Protein; 75g Carbohydrate; 31 g fiber; 496 mg Cholesterol; 3857 mg Sodium