Cabbage and celery combine very well, for they are similar in color and crispness. They can be procured at the same time of the year, and while celery is not cheap, cabbage is a comparatively inexpensive food and the two combined make an inexpensive salad. Because the color of both is very much the same, pimiento is added to give a contrasting color.
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1 cup celery
- 1 pimiento or green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon. salt
- 2 Tablespoon. vinegar
- Salad dressing
- Select a firm head of cabbage, pull off the outside leaves, and wash. Cut the head in half down through the heart and root and cut each half into quarters.
- Cut the celery into thin pieces across the stem, and dice the green pepper or pimiento or both into very small dice.
- Measure each of these, combine them, season with the salt and vinegar, and just before serving drain carefully.
- Serve on lettuce with any desired salad dressing.
Sufficient to Serve Four.