A salad that is both attractive and appetizing can be made by using tuna fish as a foundation. This fish, which is grayish-white in color, can be obtained in cans like salmon. As it is not high in price, it gives the housewife another opportunity to provide her family with an inexpensive protein dish.
- 1 c. tuna fish
- 1/2 c. diced celery
- 1 c. diced cucumber
- Salt and pepper
- Open a can of tuna fish, measure 1 cupful, and place in a bowl.
- Dice the celery and cucumber, mix with the fish, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dilute some vinegar with water, using half as much water as vinegar, and sprinkle enough of this over the mixture to flavor it slightly.
- Allow the mixture to stand for about 1/2 hour in a refrigerator or some other cold place and just before serving pour off this liquid.
- Heap the salad on lettuce leaves, pour a spoonful of mayonnaise over each portion, and serve.