Mozzarella sticks are elongated pieces of battered or breaded mozzarella. In US, the deep-fried snack is often served at restaurants as an appetizer. These cheese sticks may be served with tomato or marinara sauce, as well as plum sauce, jalapeño jelly, barbecue sauce, honey mustard sauce, and ranch dressing. Cheeses other than mozzarella are also fried, including provolone, cheddar, and American. (Wikipedia)
- 1 block of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon tabasco
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheese
- Place cheese in freezer for one half hour. Remove cheese and cut into 1″ thick strips just before cooking.
- Mix batter; add corn meal and flour, salt, tabasco, egg and add buttermilk until at a consistency slightly thinner than toothpaste.
- Dip cheese sticks into batter (use toothpicks to handle them) carefully place in a pan of hot oil making sure that oil covers good, do not put in to many at once or they will stick together.
- When browned evenly remove and immediately roll in grated cheese.
Submitted by: Dusty Rhodes