A taco is a traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. A taco can be made with a variety of fillings, including beef, pork, chicken, seafood, vegetables and cheese, allowing for great versatility and variety. A taco is generally eaten without utensils and is often accompanied by garnishes such as salsa, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, tomatoes, minced meat, onions and lettuce. (Wikipedia)
Preparation Time: Approximately 15 minutes
Cook Time: Approximately 10 minutes
For the taco meat filling:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced, mild green chiles
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, no salt added, drained
- 1/2 cup drained canned corn
- 1/2 cup drained and rinsed canned red kidney beans
- salt, to taste (optional)
- Spray oil
- 8 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas, warm according to package directions
- 1/2 cup fancy, shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced avocados (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add beef and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, pepper, chiles, tomatoes, corn, and beans and stir until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt, if needed. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.
- To serve the original Family Fiesta Soft Tacos, plate up warm tortillas, dish up the cheese, lettuce, and avocado (if desired). Serve with taco meat filling. Assemble and enjoy.
- To please a different palate, you can easily prepare one of the following variations. For each of these options that are designed to serve two, you’ll prepare the taco meat filling as instructed in the base recipe. Then you’ll take a portion of the taco meat and easily turn it into a different dish.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories 300; Total fat 10g; Saturated fat 2. 5g; Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 400mg; Carbohydrate 30g; Fiber 4g; Protein 20g; Vitamin A 20%DV*; Vitamin C 25%DV; Calcium 8%DV; Iron 20%DV *Daily Value
Submitted by: Canned Food Fan