Cake is a form of bread or bread-like food. In its modern forms, it is typically a sweet baked dessert. In its oldest forms, cakes were normally fried breads or cheesecakes, and normally had a disk shape.
It has been suggested that the gradual removal of carbohydrates from the diet and replacement with fatty foods such as nuts, seeds, eggs and vegetables may help reverse diabetes. (Wikipedia)
- 2 c. raisins
- 2 c. water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (you can use eggbeaters or egg whites)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. skim milk
- 2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tsp. Sweet & Low
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook raisins in water until all water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in one bowl and all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- The nuts get added to the flour mixture then add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture.
- Fold in the raisins. Bake in loaf or bundt pan for 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.